1.10.09

Issues with ATI Linux Driver

Greetings all!

Its been far too long since I have written anything. I figured I would make a post here about 2 challenges I recently faced. Each being completely separate issues.

First, one that has caused me a great deal of stress, that is getting the ATI Catalyst driver to work on an ATI Card with Ubuntu Linux. Every time I installed the driver X would crash my computer. If you have worked a lot with Linux and ATI, you have likely experienced this at one time or another. The solution is really quite simple.

Install the ATI Catalyst from the AMD/ATI site, then boot to Runlevel 1, or recovery mode. All you have to do is issue one command.

aticonfig --acpi-services=off

Thats it!! Reboot and you should be off to the races. Feel free to activate Compiz after that. Should that command fail, Just add a sudo in front of it.


Cheers!

No comments: